Who We Are
Bike South Brooklyn is a grassroots group of cyclists and street safety advocates who live and work across Southern Brooklyn. Formed in 2018, we have successfully fought for improved cycling infrastructure and bike lanes across the borough.
We have a free, ad-hoc open membership consisting of cyclists and bicycle-curious folks of all ages, races, and genders. Our members live or work in Southern Brooklyn, stretching from Bay Ridge to Sheepshead Bay.
What We Do
Bike South Brooklyn is an all-volunteer grassroots advocacy group with the goal of expanding and improving cycling infrastructure across Southern Brooklyn, and push back against misconceptions that lead to unsafe streets. We organize bike-friendly folks with the common goal of breaking car over-dependency in our neighborhoods. Our advocacy team helps facilitate and coordinate responses to city agencies, community boards, and local politicians in order to expedite safe, eco-friendly, and equitable spaces for all road users. We also help organize social bike rides to build awareness and encourage cyclists to explore and enjoy Southern Brooklyn.
For press inquiries, please contact
John Tomac, President, Bike South Brooklyn
In the news
Bike South Brooklyn is often at the forefront in advocating for new cycling infrastructure and safety measures across Southern Brooklyn. Here are a few articles we have been quoted in lately:
- Construction of Emmons Avenue Protected Bike Lane Underway, Jessica Parks for Brooklyn Paper, October 2022
- Better Bike & Pedestrian Access Plan For MTA Transit & Bridges To Come This Year, Kevin Duggan for amNY, May 2022
- DOT Proposed Two-Way Protected Bike Lane Along Emmons Ave In Sheepshead Bay, Katie Vasquez for News 12, November 2021
- Building A Bike Network in South Brooklyn, Dave Colon for Curbed New York, March 2019
- Bike Injuries Still Up for the Year — And Southern Brooklyn Cyclists are Disproportionately Hurt, Julianne Cuba for Streetsblog NYC, March 2020
- Southern Brooklyn streets account for half the cyclists killed this year, Noah Goldberg for Brooklyn Daily Eagle, May 2019
- City Hall’s Protected Bike Lane ‘Green Wave’ Pedals Past Local Foes, Clifford Michel for The City, September 2019
- The South Will Ride Again: Grass-Roots Group Of Southern Brooklyn Cyclists Push Local Leaders For New Bike Lanes, Aidan Graham for Brooklyn Paper, March 2019
- Bike groups advocate for lanes on Verrazano Bridge, Nicole Ryan for News12 Brooklyn, September 2019
- A Bike Lane On The Verrazano For The Summer? Advocates & Electeds Say It’s Feasible, Jake Offenhartz for Gothamist, March 2019
- Department of Transportation Proposes New Bay Ridge Bike Lanes, Ben Verde for Bklyner, May 2019